There is a common issue - affecting primarily macOS Sierra users - meaning that the Karabiner patch will disable the F keys and thier primary Apple functions (I.e. Brightness, Dashboard, Volume etc.) This unfortunately renders the 'standard' functions of the F keys useless. Please follow the simple steps below to get yourself back on track with that troublesome F row!
- Firstly, if you have the Karabiner and patch (as recommended on our website) installed, please uninstall it from your system and your restart your Mac.
- Install the updated Karabiner Elements here - https://pqrs.org/latest/karabiner-elements-latest.dmg
- Once installed, navigate to the 'Simple Modifications' Tab (shown below.)
- Here you need to click 'Add Item' and add the items as displayed below.
5. If you require the F keys to be used as their 'standard' function - I.e. not as the Apple functions but rather as shortcuts for your software of choice, you'll need to navigate to the 'Function Keys' tab within Karabiner and make sure that the box titled 'Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' is checked (see below).
You can now close Karabiner and get back to your task at hand :-)
Any further issues, please do not hesitate to get in touch.